Re: The VCS RPM tag in Fedora packages

On Mon, Jun 10, 2024 at 10:25 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I accidentally realized today (in [1]), that RPM has a VCS tag. 396 Fedora
> packages use it, yay \o/
>
> The tag is described (at [2]) as:
>
> """
> being the VCS command used (e.g. git, svn, hg, …) and <address> being the
> location of the repository as used by the VCS tool to clone/checkout the
> repository (e.g. https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm.git).
> """

(snip)

> Are the 396-11 packages wrong?

I encountered this a few weeks ago too (due to
https://pagure.io/fedora-rust/rust2rpm/pull-request/274).

Short answer to your question: As far as I can tell, yes.
Apparently 396-11 packages that use this tag in Fedora do it in a way
that does *not* match what is documented in the RPM docs.

Maybe there should be a discussion around deprecating the tag and
removing it from packages, similar to what happened to Group tags?

Fabio