Re: Expressing iptables/nftables dependency

V Mon, Dec 25, 2023 at 05:52:12PM +0100, Reto Gantenbein napsal(a):
> Merry Christmas everyone
>
> I have an application that can either work with legacy iptables
> (`iptables-legacy` and `ebtables-legacy`) or `nftables`. So I'm trying
> to specify this as a dependency in a spec file. If a user has not
> installed any of it (or `iptables-nft`) then `nftables` should be
> preferred.
>
> I thought this would be easy with a RPM boolean dependency [1]:
>
>   Requires: (ebtables-legacy if iptables-legacy else nftables)
>
> When installing the RPM with this expression and no `iptables-legacy`
> nor `nftables` already installed then `dnf` will want to install
> `ebtables-legacy` and `iptables-legacy`.
>
> Only when I include `nftables` in the `dnf install` command it will
> ignore the legacy package dependencies.
>
> Is there a way to express that I want `nftables` by default except a
> user has already `iptables-legacy` installed?

It is. Add:

    Suggests: nftables

Suggests remains unaffected when weak dependencies are disabled with an
install_weak_deps=false option.

DNF uses Suggests as a hint to prefer a solution with the suggested package
among multiple possible solutions.

Don't ask me why DNF without the hint prefers (ebtables-legacy and
iptables-legacy) if nftables is not installed. What heuristic DNF/libsolv uses
is a mystery for me.

-- Petr