Re: inclusion of kernel module sources in a package

On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 10:37 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 08, 2022 at 04:15:51PM +0800, Zamir Sun wrote:

> > > Hi Florian,
> > >
> > > In the section "No external kernel modules" (which is before the
> > > pre-build binary section), I did not see it mentioning pre-build or
> > > not.
> > >
> > > "Fedora allows only a single kernel package; packages containing
> > > alternate kernels are not allowed in the distribution. If there are
> > > kernel features which would be generally useful, please communicate
> > > with the Kernel Team."
> >
> > sorry, copy-paste issue
> >
> > "Fedora does not allow kernel modules to be packaged outside of the
> > main kernel package. You should communicate with the Kernel Team
> > regarding enabling additional kernel modules."
>
> I guess it'd be easiest if the kernel maintainers chimed in directly:
> /cc kernel-maint@fp.o
>
> I always understood the packaging guideline to be a mechanism to prevent
> users assuming that a kernel module installed from the repos is supported
> by the Fedora kernel maintainers. If the user has to compile the module from
> sources, it should be clear enough that this is outside of scope of support.

I'm not so sure about that. akmods would fit that definition too:
package only contains sources, user compiles them on their local
machine - albeit automatically, in this case.
And akmods are only shipped by rpmfusion. I would recommend doing the
same here: Package the (optional?) kernel module as an akmod and ship
it via rpmfusion.

However, if the kernel module is *not* optional, then it's not allowed
in Fedora repositories at all, given our "MUST NOT include software
that is not functional without dependencies on packages from
third-party repositories", and in that case, I'd move the whole
package to rpmfusion.

Fabio