Re: Are this Unicode Consortium files permissible content?

V Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 05:12:56PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones napsal(a):
> https://github.com/unicode-org/icu/blob/main/icu4c/source/data/region/eo.txt
> https://github.com/unicode-org/icu/blob/main/icu4c/source/data/locales/eo.txt
> https://github.com/unicode-org/icu/blob/main/icu4c/source/data/lang/eo.txt
> https://github.com/unicode-org/icu/blob/main/icu4c/source/data/rbnf/eo.txt
>
> The license of these is really unclear to me, but it seems as if from
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main?rd=Licensing that
> _maybe_ we're OK?

All the files start with:

    // License & terms of use: http://www.unicode.org/copyright.html

At that page you can read that:

You can redistribute the content, but you cannot modify it. There are only two
exceptions:

(1) Either a license header of the content permits a modification (not this
    case), or

(2) The content falls under DATA FILES or SOFTWARE definition and in that
    case:

    Further specifications of rights and restrictions pertaining to the use of
    the Unicode DATA FILES and SOFTWARE can be found in the Unicode Data Files
    and Software License <https://www.unicode.org/license.html>.

applies.

<https://www.unicode.org/license.html> is a new (and probably weaker)
version of an already Fedora-approved
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing/Unicode>.

So if you identify that the four files comes from the DATA FILES or SOFTWARE
which is supported by
<https://github.com/unicode-org/icu/blob/main/icu4c/LICENSE>, then if you copy
the license into you package, you are fine.

Nevertheless, I recommend you writing to legal list to approve it and update
the <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing/Unicode> wiki page.

-- Petr