Re: RPM-level auto release and changelog bumping - Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal

Le 2020-07-02 11:21, Igor Raits a écrit :

On Thu, 2020-07-02 at 11:17 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
Le 2020-07-02 09:52, Florian Weimer a écrit :
> * Nicolas Mailhot via devel:
>
> > > How do I let rpm generate the changelog automatically?
> >
> > This feature is not changelog generation, just changelog bumping
> > on
> > build events. You still need some other method to put non-build
> > events
> > in the changelog.
>
> What is “changelog bumping”?  Why is it needed?  What about release
> bumping?

Changelog bumping is the act of putting the actual release bump and
build time in the changelog.

With the change, the spec is able to self-compute its next release if
the spec file evr is older or equal to the last build event.

How does it know that "last build event"?

The same process that commits a new state of the changelog file in sources, commits the date that was written in the changelog in a separate key = value
file (with the components of the build evr, the last packager id, etc).

That means, you can trim the detached changelog file (if you find the list of build events uninteresting), the SRPM will still remember to bump the next EVR to something above the last build (even if it does not appear in the changelog file).

(That also means I could dispense with writing a parser for the custom timestamp format rpm changelogs use, and save the date in easy to parse RFC 3339/ ISO 8601 format)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot