Re: RPM-level auto release and changelog bumping - Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal

* Nicolas Mailhot:

> Le 2020-07-02 09:52, Florian Weimer a écrit :
>> * Nicolas Mailhot via devel:

>>> This feature is not changelog generation, just changelog bumping on
>>> build events. You still need some other method to put non-build events
>>> in the changelog.
>>
>> What is “changelog bumping”?  Why is it needed?  What about release
>> bumping?
>
> Changelog bumping is the act of putting the actual release bump and
> build time in the changelog.
>
> With the change, the spec is able to self-compute its next release if
> the spec file evr is older or equal to the last build event.
>
> On build, it will both bump the release, without touching the spec
> file (that is release bumping) and commit the new build event
> timestamp in the detached changelog file at %build time (that is
> changelog bumping).

Isn't this totally over-engineered?

A much simpler alternative would just put the Koji task ID into the
%dist tag.  Since the %dist tag is not included in the version-release
fields on the %changelog section, no changelog update is needed.

Thanks,
Florian