Re: RPM-level auto release and changelog bumping - Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal

On Tue, 2020-06-30 at 15:19 -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/rpm_level_auto_release_and_changelog_bumping
>
> == Summary ==
>
> redhat-rpm-config will be updated so users of the auto framework get
> automated release and changelog bumping.
>
> == Owner ==
>
> * Name: [[User:nim| Nicolas Mailhot]]
> * Email: <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>
>
> == Detailed Description ==
>
> This is a system-wide change because all packages build with
> redhat-rpm-config, but it only concerns packages that opted to use
> this part of redhat-rpm-config (auto framework).
>
> The change will make those packages auto-bump and auto-changelog at
> the rpm level, in an infrastructure-independent way.

So how exactly is this supposed to work? From where will it get old
changelog, how packagers will migrate to this, how does it affect
reproducibility?

> == Benefit to Fedora ==
>
> Autobumping removes a huge packager shore and makes timestamping in
> changelogs more reliable.
>
> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners: The feature is coded and works at the rpm level.
> Unfortunately, mock filters away the srpms containing the bump state,
> so it does not work in upper layers.
>
> * Other developers: The feature requires buy-in by mock developers
> (and probably koji developers) to lift the restrictions that block it
> above the rpm level. Also, it requires a mechanism to pass the user
> name and email that will be used in bumped changelogs (defining two
> variables in ~/.rpmmacros is sufficient at rpm level)

So are you asking mock and koji people to implement something? Did you
talk to them before submitting this proposal?

> * Mock issue:
> https://github.com/rpm-software-management/mock/issues/599
>
> * Release engineering: https://pagure.io/releng/issue/9567
> * Policies and guidelines: maybe eventually if things work out on the
> technical level
> * FPC issue: https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/issue/998
> * Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
>
> == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
>
> This is a pure build tooling update, it changes how things are built
> not what is built.
>
> == How To Test ==
>
> A redhat-rpm-config packages with the changes and some example
> packages are available in
>
> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/nim/refactoring-forge-patches-auto-call-bump-changelog-fonts/builds/
>
> Since the mock/copr layer is currently blocking the feature, you need
> to install the redhat-rpm-config and forge macro packages available
> in
> this repo locally. Afterwards you can take any of the example
> packages
> in the repo and rebuild them with rpmbuild -ba to your heart content,
> and see the releases bump and the changelogs being updated
> accordingly.
>
> To get beautiful changelogs, you also need to add
>
> <pre>
> %buildsys_name  Your name
> %buildsys_email Your email
> </pre>
>
> in ~/.rpmmacros
>
> == User Experience ==
>
> N/A Packager experience change only
>
> == Dependencies ==
>
> The change is a spin-off of
>

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Patches_in_Forge_macros_-_Auto_macros_-_Detached_rpm_changelogs
>
> Therefore, it depends on the success of that other change and will
> probably need rebasing if the code in this other change evolves
> during
> the redhat-rpm-config merge.
>
> It also depends on mock / copr/ koji buy-in and changes, that may add
> their own requirements.
>
> == Contingency Plan ==
>
> There is no contingency plan because the change will happen or not at
> all.

This is not true. If it will happen but then something will be entirely
broken we need to revert it.. And we need to know when, how and who
will do that.

> == Documentation ==
>
> There is as much documentation as the average redhat-rpm-config
> change
> (ie comments in the macro files themselves)
>
> == Release Notes ==
>
> N/A Packager productivity change only
>
> --
> Ben Cotton
> He / Him / His
> Senior Program Manager, Fedora & CentOS Stream
> Red Hat
> TZ=America/Indiana/Indianapolis
- --
Igor Raits <ignatenkobrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>