Re: Redesigning the %python_provide macro from scratch

On 20. 04. 20 12:27, Vít Ondruch wrote:
1) It must be used conditionally (it is not defined in
python-srpm-macros).
That means you always wrap it in %{?python_provide:...} in order to
have a "valid" specfile even when the macro is not yet defined (e.g.
during SRPM creation in Koji or on a packager's machine without
python-rpm-macros installed).

This is an advantage. People does not need to have installed
python-srpm-macros just to build SRPM, when they are using Mock or Koji
to build the package. Please keep it this way.
What you say is not true.

redhat-rpm-config requires python-srpm-macros.

I don't know if it does or doesn't, but I am quite sure that this is not
correct. Dependencies like this should be removed and minimized and not
used as justification. `rpmbuild -bs` should work without as much macros
as possible.

You provide opinions. You don't provide justifications for them. Please, base the discussion on facts, not feelings. What's wrong with the dependencies and why is it wrong now and wasn't wrong until now?

> I don't remember I would ever need any of them.

If you don't create srpms from affected packages, you don't need them. Users who do (such as our releng or our buildsystem or me) do need them.

Should we do this differently? I don't know, maybe you are right. But this is how we do this currently and this is what I'll use. Once somebody designs a better way of doing this, I'll adapt. Until then, I refuse the "don't use this mechanism because it's not perfect" argument.

--
Miro Hrončok