Re: %optflags macro for clang?

* Jun Aruga:

> What do you think about adding the following macros in rpms/redhat-rpm-config?
> I think it's useful for people who want to build their RPM package not
> by gcc but for some reasons.
> rpms/ruby might be the case to build with clang near feature, because
> gcc's PIE is not compatible with Ruby's just-in-time (JIT) feature
> using pre-compiler-header (PCH) [1].
>
> ```
> %{build_clang_cflags}
> %{build_clang_cxxflags}
> %{clang_optflags}
> ```

I don't think the flag-based approach can be made to work if we support
different system compilers.  We will need something else instead.  While
the flag names largely overlap, their behavior differs.  And due to lack
of compiler specs file support in Clang, the PIE flag handling simply
cannot be implemented in Clang directly, while still having Clang to
default to non-PIE.

I don't know what the current state of Fedora multi-compiler support is.
Has there been a change that allows packages to build with Clang instead
of Clang even if there is no immediate technical requirement to do so?
(If yes, it has not been reflected in the packaging guidelines.)

Thanks,
Florian