Re: Using Minisign for source file verification

https://github.com/jedisct1/minisign/issues/61

> · Sodium: There are both Minisign signatures and OpenPGP signatures.
> · dnscrypt-proxy: Again, precompiled binary packages are signed, but
>   not the source code.
> · Radare2: I can't find any signatures.
> · OpenSMTPD: Signify signatures found.

I can create issues/PRs for these one later as well!

As for packages requiring gnupg2, there are slightly more... But there
may be some false positives as well...

$ repoquery -q --disablerepo='*' --enablerepo=fedora-source
--enablerepo=updates-source --archlist=src     --whatrequires gnupg2
--releasever=rawhide | wc
     83      83    2468

> That's great and all, but have there been any serious attempts to trick
> Minisign or Signify into accepting a fake signature, by people who are
> experienced in such attacks?

Not that I know of. The author is Minisign is the author of libsodium as
well. So the trust is mostly based on the author's reputation, and the
reputation of OpenBSD developers (signify). I did find an audit by PIA
from two years ago for libsodium that was quite positive [1].
> Cryptography is tricky stuff. It's very easy to overlook some detail.
> Users should be wary of homegrown protocols that haven't been rigorously
> analyzed.
As for the current status quo, i.e. PGP, see [2,3], it would be fair to
hold PGP (GnuPG) to the same standards... Based on its history of
vulnerabilities I don't really trust it for anything. I'm sure you can
use it safely if you are an expert and don't use key servers, but well,
I don't trust myself with PGP... That is also the main reason I am in
the process of switching to signify/Minisign for my own projects.

Cheers,
François

[1]
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/blog/2017/08/libsodium-v1-0-12-and-v1-0-13-security-assessment/