Re: Guidance request: rpmlint, FHS, and test suite location

On 1/9/2019 12:49 AM, Miro Hrončok wrote:
On 09. 01. 19 0:53, Jordan Ogas wrote:
Greetings,

I am trying to make a Fedora compliant rpm package and I have found myself in
need of guidance.

The software I am trying to package contains a test suite that compiles a few c
files at build time.

When installing with a prefix, the test suite and examples are installed in
${PREFIX}/share/doc/charliecloud/test and
${PREFIX}/share/doc/charliecloud/examples respectively. The spec file uses the
standard %{_prefix} macro, thus the test suite installs to /usr/share/,
which is reserved for architecture-independent files. The presence of the compiled test suite and example binaries causes rpmlint to complain with 'arch-
dependent-file-in-usr-share' errors (among others).

Any guidance or advice is greatly appreciated.

In case you just want to provide the example/test sources, they can live there.

The compiled binaries however should not.

If you want to provide a way to run the tests by the user without compiling, I suggest libexec or even bindir (with appropriate name) would do.

The primary question would be: why are those files shipped. Would users experimenting with those probably read the source and compile them, or just execute them?

The feature/bug of _libexec, of course, is that it's not in anyone's PATH. If these files are likely to be used by some specific subset of users, but not by others and of no real core need, another option is to move the binaries to _bindir at %install create a dedicated subpackage for them and any associated example configs for those tests, named something like charliecloud-utils or charliecloud-tests

-jc