Re: Guidance request: rpmlint, FHS, and test suite location

On 09. 01. 19 0:53, Jordan Ogas wrote:
Greetings,

I am trying to make a Fedora compliant rpm package and I have found myself in
need of guidance.

The software I am trying to package contains a test suite that compiles a few c
files at build time.

When installing with a prefix, the test suite and examples are installed in
${PREFIX}/share/doc/charliecloud/test and
${PREFIX}/share/doc/charliecloud/examples respectively. The spec file uses the
standard %{_prefix} macro, thus the test suite installs to /usr/share/,
which is reserved for architecture-independent files. The presence of the
compiled test suite and example binaries causes rpmlint to complain with 'arch-
dependent-file-in-usr-share' errors (among others).

Any guidance or advice is greatly appreciated.

In case you just want to provide the example/test sources, they can live there.

The compiled binaries however should not.

If you want to provide a way to run the tests by the user without compiling, I suggest libexec or even bindir (with appropriate name) would do.

The primary question would be: why are those files shipped. Would users experimenting with those probably read the source and compile them, or just execute them?

--
Miro Hrončok