Re: How to handle a forked project

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 11:41 AM David Juran <david@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello
>
> What is the policy for handling a forked upstream project where the
> fork seems much more alive then the original?
>
> I'm the (mostly idle) maintainer of the Azureus/Vuze[1] bittorrent
> client. The original Azureus/Vuze project has gone mostly idle without
> any new releases in more then a year. The code however has been forked,
> by the original lead developers, as BiglyBT[2]. And this fork seem to
> be live and under active development.
>
> So now my question is, what is the procedure for switching the code
> base for the Fedora package from Vuze to BiglyBT?
> Do I just switch the tar-ball in the azureus package repo and add an
> "obsoletes" statement in the spec-file?
> Can I change the name of the source rpm?
> Can the name of the entire package (including the package git repo and
> bugzilla entry) be changed?
>
> Advice are welcome!

Since the name has changed, you should do a rename request[1].

When you request your git repo with fedpkg request-repo, add the
switch for not having an initial commit, so that the azureus repo can
be pushed into the new one and you can just add a commit on top to
rename everything. That lets you preserve the history and do the
rename correctly in Dist-Git.

[1]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_Renaming_Process