Re: Cleaning up old scriptlets

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 5:37 AM Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> RM> I've just discovered %udev_rules_update though a review. Equates to
> RM> %nil in F28 and udevadm control --reload >/dev/null 2>&1 in
> RM> F27. Pretty neat.
>
> Would be really neat if these actually got documented somewhere.  And
> unfortunately having a macro like that doesn't help all that much
> because you still end up having to conditionalize the scriptlet
> dependencies and usually the scriptlet itself for the distro version
> (assuming you insist on keeping the same spec for each branch).  But at
> least most of it will just go away after F27 goes EOL.
>
> Handling the complete set of cases is what makes the ldconfig macros so
> complicated.

In most cases, it was not necessary even before, since udev watches
the rules directory with inotify and reloads automatically. There are
only a couple of special cases where this doesn't kick in (mainly if
the rule called another program and that program was updated), and
that's where the file trigger helps with it.