Re: problem with mounted directory: cpio: chown failed - Permission denied

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 10:38 AM, Rainer Traut <tr.ml@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> hope I found the right list to ask this question.
>
> I am trying to package software which owns a mounted directory.
> This mount point is read-only so the chown fails with:

I assume you mean a network mounted or otherwise locked down
directory. Why is your packing software trying to package something
into a read-only directory?

> error: unpacking of archive failed on file /srv/my/dir: cpio: chown failed -
> Permission denied
>
> Some googling gave me the hint of:
> # echo "%_netsharedpath /srv/my/dir" >> /etc/rpm/macros
>
> But is there a better way than echoing this on every single host?
> Like some magic in the SPEC file?

Why aren't you building it with something like "mock" or "koji", that
will create use a clean build environment at /var/cache/mock/ without
localized modifications? I can understand that your working
environment might have "/opt/" or other network mounted directories
set up with read-only permissions. But writing to such a directory at
build time is begging for difficulty.