Re: help with first package (extractpdfmark, bug 1520922)

Hi Federico,

I'm also a beginner, but maybe I can help.

On 2 February 2018 at 14:58, Federico Bruni <fede@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Il giorno gio 1 feb 2018 alle 10:06, Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> ha
> scritto:
>> On Thu, 01 Feb 2018 06:52:57 +0100
>> Federico Bruni <fede@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>>  >>  %license COPYING
>>>  >>
>>>  >>  %doc README.* COPYING
>>>  >
>>>  > If including the file COPYING as a licence file already, duplicating
>>>  > it also as a separate doc file isn't necessary and should not be
>>>  > done.
>>>
>>>  I must duplicate it, since upstream is copying that file in the doc
>>>  dir:
>>>
>>>  [extractpdfmark-1.0.2]$ grep COPYING Makefile
>>>         $(srcdir)/config.h.in $(dist_doc_DATA) COPYING compile \
>>>  dist_doc_DATA = README.md README.ja.md COPYING
>>>

>>>  So if I remove it from %doc, I'll get an error:
>>>
>>>  error: Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
>>>     /usr/share/doc/extractpdfmark/COPYING
>>>      Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
>>>     /usr/share/doc/extractpdfmark/COPYING
>>>
>>>  Should I ask upstream to fix it and put COPYING under
>>>  /usr/share/licenses?
>>

>> You could remove the copy in /usr/share/doc/extractpdfmark at the end
>> of %install to avoid this problem.
>>
> Good idea, but I cannot make it work. I've tried this first:
>
> %install
> %make_install
> rm -f %{_docdir}/extractpdfmark/COPYING
>
> But it seems that it tries to remove the file in my system instead of that
> in chroot?

Try
rm -f %{buildroot}/%{_docdir}/extractpdfmark/COPYING

During the %install phase, %make_install should be "installing" stuff
into subdirectories of %{buildroot} (which lives inside a directory
called BUILDROOT, sister to SPECS).  %make_install shouldn't be able
to write anything into %{_docdir} itself (usually /usr/share/doc),
because you are not root (which is good).

> I cannot find any good tutorial on this subject. If you have links to
> suggest please let me know.

Old as it is, I found Maximum RPM still useful:
http://ftp.rpm.org/max-rpm/
though there are some conventions / best practices that have changed,
it is still a good tutorial.

Besides that, the Fedora packaging guidelines
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines
and the howto on the wiki:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_an_RPM_package
In particular, for this issue, scroll down to "Macros", or see
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:RPMMacros

Best

Alex