Re: Proposed Fedora packaging guideline: More Go packaging

----- Mail original -----
De: "Jason L Tibbitts III"

>nm> And the forge macros are now available since
>nm> redhat-rpm-config-73-1.fc28 (I had missed the push due to upstream
>nm> renaming the file). Heartfelt thanks to Jason Tibbitts !

> Please don't forget to let me know when it's time to start thinking
> about pushing this down to F27.  And maybe F26.  And as far as I can
> tell it should work with only minor modification in EPEL7 (via
> epel-rpm-macros).

I don't know about EPEL6, but we use it as-is in EL7 and it works just as well (except maybe for the %autosetup bits but IIRC that's autosetup which is broken in EL7). In fact it has probably been used more heavily in EL7 than in fedora-devel so far. Maybe it also works in EPEL 6 but I've never tried it. I guess it depends mostly on the level of lua support in EL6 rpm and rpm-related tools now the forge macro code is lua only. I'm pretty sure many of the problems in the early versions of the macro were due to non-lua code and its interactions with lua code once the lua-ification started.

It's a good idea to let people play with it in fedora-devel maybe a month, in case I missed something, but from a technical POW I'm prety sure it could be merged up to EL7 now. I'll submit fedora-devel specific tweaks later (just like I submitted bitkeeper.org support today), right now the code is distro-agnostic. For my part I doubt I'll ever use it in EL6 since I did it for Go and the EL6 Go stack is really too old for a merge to be interesting. Anyway I'll certainly let you know when I feel the time is right (but do not block on me!)

> Finally, we should also talk about whether there is any integration or
> automation possible between fedpkg and specfiles configured with these
> macros.

I'm afraid my knowledge of recent fedpkg enhancements is too sparse to be of any use there. Though I'm not opposed to the idea at all.

Thanks again!

--
Nicolas Mailhot