Re: RFC: Dropping %{?_isa} hack

On Thursday, 18 January 2018 at 23:20, Igor Gnatenko wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-01-18 at 23:04 +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > On Thursday, 18 January 2018 at 22:50, Igor Gnatenko wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Does anybody know why we are still using %{?_isa} thing?
> > >
> > > DNF/libsolv forcefully install 64bit package for any 32bit package in
> > > transaction. So it is not possible to get 32bit package without 64bit
> > > counterpart.
> >
> > Huh? You can't be serious. I've been keeping a 32bit-only set of wine
> > packages on my machine for quite some time and I'd be quite annoyed
> > if I suddenly had to install all corresponding 64bit ones, too.
>
> Well, I am pretty serious. I think you just didn't notice all those 64bit
> packages because you had them already installed.
>
> $ sudo dnf install wine
> […]
>  libatomic                     i686   7.2.1-6.fc28            rawhide  40 k
>  libatomic                     x86_64 7.2.1-6.fc28            rawhide  40 k
> […]

Wrong. I keep close watch on what packages I have installed. I only have
32bit wine installed at the moment, so your statement seems untrue:
$ rpm -qa wine\* |grep i686 |wc -l
3
$ rpm -qa wine\* |grep x86_64 |wc -l
0

> > When did you implement this change and for which Fedora release?
>
> Since DNF was implemented?

Apparently it's not implemented like you described.

[...]
> > > So then what's the reason of using %{?_isa}? Just some old cruft from yum
> > > era?
> > > Can we drop it? Thoughts?
> >
> > The reason is to ensure 64bit subpackages dependency on main package
> > won't be satisfied by a 32bit counterpart and vice-versa. This has
> > always been the case.
>
> Except that 64bit package is always pulled in → no need for pulling 32bit
> package. Yeah, requiring 32bit package from 64bit one (aka wine) is different
> case (it doesn't really use %{?_isa}) and is valid one.

I never said anything about cross-bitness requirements. You
misunderstood. And I've just demonstrated that dnf doesn't always pull
in 64bit package when 32bit counterpart is being installed.

Regards,
Dominik
--
Fedora   https://getfedora.org  |  RPMFusion   http://rpmfusion.org