Re: Documenting C/c++ build flags

FW> Would it be appropriate to document the various build flags we use
FW> (mostly via redhat-rpm-config) in this page?

FW>   <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:C_and_C%2B%2B>

It's certainly a good idea to document those flags, but the packaging
guidelines aren't always the best place to document things, and not just
because there is bureaucracy involved in getting them changed.  In the
future those might not even be on the wiki.

However, it occurs to me that we do already require specific compilation flags
to be used, by way of
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Compiler_flags  But
all we really do is say that you have to respect %optflags and then link
out to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:RPMMacros#Build_flags_macros_and_variables
(which is probably outdated now).  There's also information about
%_hardened_build which I'm not sure is accurate right now.

FW> This would be the natural place to include this information, but the
FW> process for updating this page seems to be a bit complicated.

It's not that bad.  File a ticket at
https://pagure.io/packaging-committee and tell us what you think should
be in the guidelines.  If something in the current guidelines is
factually inaccurate, we will get it changed.

FW> Can you suggest any alternatives?

Well, if you want something that's not part of the packaging guidelines,
anyone can make a wiki page (outside of Packaging: and Legal:, of
course).

 - J<