Re: Clarification of python packaging guidelines

MD> Hi, I have doubts about
MD> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Python

MD> "For other executables, the general rule is:

MD> If only one executable is to be shipped, then it owns its own slot
MD> and should use /usr/bin/python3 from Fedora 22 on."

What's the doubt you have?  The guideline seems clear, though I have
never been happy with that wording.

MD> Please note that I prefer to keep the same spec file for Fedora and
MD> EPEL, otherwise it's too much burden maintaining it.

Depending on how extensive your dependencies are, you might just be able
to use the EPEL python3 packages.  (Even EPEL6 has them.)  That's
probably the easiest way, but at some point you have to accept that you
are trying to keep the same spec across what are rather different
operating systems at this point.  You can do anything with conditionals,
of course, to the point if just having two completely different specs
crammed into one file.  I don't see how that's any more maintainable
than just having separate, but everyone likes their own thing.

 - J<