Re: exploring a crazy (?) idea: /opt/fedora/apps for some applications?

On 10/19/2016 4:50 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
As it stands right now, if we want to build existing RPMs
as Flatpaks, we have to either do some very sketchy magic with
relocation, or else hack on the specfiles.

Pretty much 100% against the proposal, but this caught my attention after having done some recent work with RPM relocations.

I suspect *whatever* we do is going to require hacking on spec files somewhat, if only to add various support lines. But given that RPM relocation (if it works right and the application is prepared for it) was designed specifically to support this type of thing, wouldn't that be a good place to start for this?

Ideally, you could end up with something like SCL support macros on top of the regular spec -- allow normal, default builds (and don't diverge too much from other RPM uses), but put the hooks there for a build system and 'rpm' to do something special.

-jc