Re: Broken dependencies: vim-syntastic

On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 12:55:48 PM CEST Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> First off, the guidelines have:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Noarch_with_unported_dependencies
>
> I've been assuming that you're talking about the BuildRequires: case.
> If you're just talking about the case where you can build it anywhere
> because you're just copying files around, but it just won't install,
> then you can try doing the noarch/ExclusiveArch: trick.  To be fair, I
> have no idea if it still works; I recall that some people really didn't
> like it.  Of course if it doesn't work then I'll remove that bit from
> the guidelines.  I've sent out a couple of questions to folks who should
> know better than I.

Thanks a lot for this discussion.  I'll go (probably) the hacky
ExclusiveArch way, just because I want to give it a try.  Once this
becomes too tiring (because the package has non-trivial amount of
run-time-only dependencies), I'll talk to releng team.

> PR> Understood why _usually_ do not permit them, but the fact we _never_
> PR> permit them sounds like not-yet-fixed design issue.
>
> I can't imagine a situation where it would be acceptable for a user to
> type "dnf install foo" for something that's purely in Fedora and be
> greeted with an unsatisfied dependency error.  I just can't.

Yeah, me neither.  The thing is that it is unlikely anybody is going to
install that package there ... but yes, that might happen.

The design issue (probably hard to solve) is that there is no automatic
way to _not_ include such package into particular ARCH yum repo;  and we
rather bother packagers.

Thanks,
Pavel