Re: Python PEP 440 and RPM Versions

On Tue, 2016-08-23 at 14:35 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> SS> I haven't found any Fedora Packaging rules or otherwise any
> SS> recommendation on transforming a PEP440 package version number to an
> SS> RPM NVR.
>
> Don't the existing versioning guidelines already cover this, though?  I
> don't see how they fail to do so.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Versioning#Non-Numeric_Version_in_Release
>
> Isn't that pretty much what you describe?  (Except that in the very last
> case should be name-0.2.0-2.post1 because the release integer must
> always increment.)

I was looking for something specific to PEP 440
equivalence/normalization rules, I guess there aren't and there is no
interest in being overly prescriptive for this case ?

The common rules do allow me to create packages that will update
properly though, and I can certainly figure out my way in the ambiguous
cases, so they suffice for the time being.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York