Re: What happens when a packager goes dark?

Hello, Benjamin.

On Thursday, 02 June 2016 at 09:41, Benjamin Lefoul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So this packager  Bernard Johnson (bjohnson) disappeared and his email
> (bjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx) is dead.
[...]

> I am interested in taking over the BackupPC package which needs a simple
> fix in EPEL7 (no one upstream seems to care about the Fedora packaging,
> but my company needs it). I would need a sponsor too.

That is one of the best reasons to become the maintainer of a package.
I'd suggest reading up on how to become Fedora packager:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_get_sponsored_into_the_packager_group

> But again: what happens when a packager goes dark before orphaning or
> retiring her packages? Has this been seriously discussed? What if they
> get seriously ill or worse (the Fedora project is now sufficiently big
> and old that statistically, this could happen)?

We have this policy in place:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Policy_for_nonresponsive_package_maintainers

Regards,
Dominik