What happens when a packager goes dark?

Hi,

So this packager  Bernard Johnson (bjohnson) disappeared and his email (bjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx) is dead.
"Symetrix.com" is unmaintained and the company listed in the whois "Symetrix Consulting" is nowhere to be found in the US (where bjohnson says he's located in FAS).
The company behind "symetrixconsulting.com" seems unrelated and located in India. The company behind "symetrix.co" told me they have no employee by that name.

So what happens in this case?

I am interested in taking over the BackupPC package which needs a simple fix in EPEL7 (no one upstream seems to care about the Fedora packaging, but my company needs it). I would need a sponsor too.

But again: what happens when a packager goes dark before orphaning or retiring her packages? Has this been seriously discussed? What if they get seriously ill or worse (the Fedora project is now sufficiently big and old that statistically, this could happen)?

Regards,

Benjamin Lefoul
FAS: lef