[Fedora-packaging] Re: Versioned weak dependencies

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 2:23 AM, Dan Horák <dan@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 22:05:04 -0500
> Shawn Iwinski <shawn.iwinski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I forgot about this over the US holiday.  Any ideas?
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 25, 2015 at 10:10 PM, Shawn Iwinski
>> <shawn.iwinski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > How are versioned weak dependencies handled?  Can I
>> > "Suggests"/"Recommends" min and max versions or can I only supply
>> > the main package and use "Conflicts" to enforce version ranges?
>> >
>> > For example:
>> >
>> >     Suggests: pkg >= 1.0
>> >     Suggests: pkg < 2.0
>> >
>> > or
>> >
>> >     Suggests: pkg
>> >     Conflicts: pkg < 1.0
>> >     Conflicts: pkg >= 2.0
>
> it can be done slightly differently
>
> add Provides: pkg(1x) to the pkg spec file for all versions >=1.0 and <
> 2.0 (then bump to pkg(2x)). And then just use Suggests: pkg(1x) in foo.

That's more complicated than it needs to be and potentially requires
cooperation with other packagers.

It basically depends on whether he has a hard restriction on the
Recommendation or Suggestion or not.

If the package is absolutely incompatible, the the Conflicts approach
makes sense. However, note that such a thing would prevent them from
coexisting at that point.

But, if it is not a hard restriction, then the Suggests approach makes
sense, because it won't suggest them as options if they fall outside
the range.