Interesting blog on simplifying packaging for OS bootstrapping

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> So, why not remove all scripted languages from buildroots
> and require them to be explicitly BR:'d and R:'ed?

explicit 'R's seem to always end up with needless E:VR or a
subset of the same; having a detection script is less
likely to pollute the runtime with false or falesly
versioned R's than manual mungeing

BR's are harder, but I always cast a suspicious eye on
versioned BR;s in scripting languages, as they seem to pull
in 'later' and unrelated modules far beyond reason

The trend is for 'thinner' requirements with the emergence of
docker, and other cloud'y images;  I'd move that way rather
than adding yet more cruft inside a spec file. Minimal BR's
usually yield smaller R's and smaller packages

-- Russ herrold