Re: Web Assets and JavaScript Guidelines

On 01/19/2014 07:09 AM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 1:51 AM, Matthias Runge
> <mrunge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> could you please tell me, what's the status with JavaScript (client side
>> libraries) and Web Assets?
>>
>> There are quite a few packages bundling e.g. jQuery. we have a review
>> request for jQuery itself[1]
>>
>> So, the Web_Assets guideline[2] and JavaScript guideline[3] isn't really
>> in production, because it can not be applied to current packages and
>> even not applied to packages under review, or am I wrong here?
>>
>> jQuery comes with several versions, esp. earlier versions are not
>> compatible with later ones. We couldn't expect to be able to make every
>> package compatible with jQuery's latest version. How shall this be handled?
>
> The plan for jQuery is now outlined at:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/jQuery
>
> I plan to introduce two jquery packages:
> js-jquery - jquery 2.x latest - for webapps that use jquery2/don't
> care about IE6
> js-jquery1 - jquery 1.x latest - for webapps that do care about IE6

Thank you for clarification; it absolutely makes sense to me, from a
packager perspective, we don't need to argue about bundling etc :D

With my OpenStack Horizon hat on, I see a huge piece of work coming to
me. Many of the JavaScript guys I talked to in the past don't care about
that, or try to argue, why bundling is necessary. Sigh.

Matthias