RPM conditional based on installed library?

I'm not sure how to solve the following problem and I'm looking for advice.

I've got a package which uses a configure script (autotools) which
decides what loadable modules it will build based on what's available
from the installed libraries [1]. This changes what will appear in the
%files section. I control what's in the %files via an RPM variable I set
based on %{?rhel} and %{%fedora} tests.

But basing the conditional on the rhel or fedora version is fragile
because updates have changed what's available in the library. I'd prefer
to base the conditional on the library contents just like the configure
script does. But I'm not really sure how to go about this. I don't
believe there is any mechanism which would allow me to interrogate the
contents of config.status from the %build stage which would allow me to
conditionalize the contents of %files (or is there?).

I suppose I could perform a test equivalent to the one used by configure
by running a shell command early in the spec file (akin to what we
currently do to determine the Python library path, etc.)

Are there examples of solving this problem cleanly? Suggestions? Comments?

[1] For the curious the issue is the availability of elliptic curve
crypto features, something which seems to keep changing and my spec file
breaks whenever it does.

--
John