Re: How to handle tests in %check

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 12:51:18 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:

On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 09:21:31 +0200, Miroslav Suchy wrote:

Mamoru disagree. For me it is blocker.
I would like to ask for your opinions. Which way is correct and should
it be blocker for review?

So far, it's not a blocker.

Correct, it's a should - Why?

Because
* we want to encourage upstreams to write testsuites and not let package reviews fail reviews because they are supplying a testsuites and to pass those packages whose upstreams don't ship a testsuite.
* testsuites are of very widely ranging quality and content/coverage.
Starting with primitive API-checking linker-tests, over simple "self-test" testsuites up to very extensive testsuites, which occasionally require a huge infrastructure.

In other words: Reviewers are supposed to apply common sense and brains wrt. testsuites. A failing testsuite can mean nothing or everything.

Remember: Reviews are not a mere bureaucratic act. Reviewers are supposed to make a judgment (*review*) - This also occasionally means to compromise and occasionally means to reject something.

But reviewers can always refuse to accept something they disagree
with, step aside from the review, and wish the submitter good luck
finding someone else to take over.

Well, both sides should be willing to compromise about how to continue.
Depends. There are situations, where compromises are impossible.

E.g. when a testsuite's results indicate bugs and deficienicies or even dysfunctionality of a package.

The submitter cannot force the reviewer to approve the package. And the
reviewer cannot force the submitter to change something, because the
submitter may reply "no, thanks, then I prefer providing the package
in my personal repo".
Depends.

Talking about approved packages, let's not forget packagers who
reintroduce mistakes (including disabling %check sections) some time
later. ;-)
And even this some times is inevitable :-)

Ralf