Re: Package naming guidelines

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 04:44:50 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> On 08/16/2013 07:13 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > Bad timing as weekend has arrived for many, but please, I would appreciate
> > comments on this one *and* the earlier feedback in the ticket:
> >
> >    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/997679
> >    -> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/997679#c14
>
> Executive summary:
>
> In https://bugzilla.redhat.com/997679 the package maintainer of SFML
> requests the SFML package to be renamed from SFML to sfml.
>
> I told him this would violated the FPG, because packages are supposed to
> be named to after the tarball. However he continues to insist on this
> renamer and sent comment https://bugzilla.redhat.com/997679#c14 in
> response to make unmisunderstandibly clear that he leave me no choice
> but to reject his package rename request.

A few more details (the ticket comments aren't many, though):

* In a previous Package Review request (bug 652085), it has been
lower-case naming (sfml.spec and src.rpm). Different submitter and different
reviewer as with the upper-case SFML package submission, but with no mention
of the lower-case packages in other dists, and with no discussion of the
naming guidelines.

* One of the several bindings has been packaged in Fedora using lower-case
naming and with a lower-case "-sfml" in its subpackage name, too. Same
submitter as with the lower-case "sfml", but even another different reviewer.

* Several of the bindings (there's the plan to package more of them) use
a variety of mixed-case names, some all upper-case, others all lower-case.
Especially with regard to Fedora's %{parent}-%{child} naming guidelines
for add-on packages, it would get difficult and confusing to name the
package family properly. ( http://www.sfml-dev.org/download/bindings.php )

* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Case_Sensitivity

* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#General_Naming