Re: [Proposal] Packaging guidelines/spec per version

On Thu, 2013-03-14 at 12:42 +0100, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> And we are speaking about possible changes in RPM, that might affect all
> packages in Fedora.
>
> But since you do various branches in one .spec file, the .spec file
> becomes un-updatable by script.

Which in some case might not be a bad thing.
The other question is, is it really so important to fix all the
packages? Or should we just invite the package to clean up the spec when
they update their package?

> > The current system allows each maintainer to use the latest version of
> > the guidelines or to maintain one spec consistent across branches if he
> > wishes to. I think this is the approach that has the most flexibility
> > and changing it will crease some feathers.
>
> As well as non-changing it. If beginer takes a look on some hugely
> conditionalized .spec file, he will screaming escape. .spec file should
> be sort of configuration file, not a script.

I agree, like I say, there is a point where having different spec per
branch is a good thing (even a necessity), but I think this point should
be left to the packager to decide.

Anyway, I think I've expressed what I wanted to say, so I'll try not to
run in circles :)

Pierre