Re: [Proposal] Packaging guidelines/spec per version

On 03/14/2013 11:51 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On 03/14/2013 10:09 AM, Panu Matilainen wrote:
On 03/14/2013 10:46 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
Dne 13.3.2013 18:01, Ralf Corsepius napsal(a):
On 03/13/2013 04:20 PM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
Dne 13.3.2013 13:12, Vít Ondruch napsal(a):
Hi,

Wouldn't it be possible to have packaging guidelines versioned by
Fedora version? If this would be accompanied by the rule, that .spec
files can't be shared as well (using some conditions), this would
allow us to have much faster evolution of our packaging. I'll give
you
a few examples.

= Tilde versioning

It is available in RPM since 4.10 [1], i.e. Fedora 18. It is
prohibited by guidelines [2].

-1 Any changes to NEVR conventions are dangerous. They need to be
supported by all rpm-related tools and all active versions of Fedora.

Wrong, if the guidelines would be version specific, it would be obvious
that you can start using this functionality for F18. Yes, you can hit
issues if you try on F17, but it was never intended to work on older
releases, so that is not surprise.

Just FWIW, the tilde support in rpm could trivially be backported to
F17. Heck, it's already been backported and included in RHEL-6 (as of
6.4) just to clear the first roadblock from its use in Fedora.

How about yum, fedpkg, yumex, rpmdev* etc., <insert your custom script
here>?

As long as they use rpm's version comparison they should be okay. Of course its possible there are wrinkles somewhere, but those are never going to be found unless the stuff is actually tested.

Openly said, I am actually opposed to allowing '~' in rpm at all,
because its meaning is non-obvious.

And I'm not going to push for its use in Fedora, I simply wanted to make it technically possible to use it in Fedora. That part is now accomplished, beyond that its up to the community and FPC / FESCo.

	- Panu -