Re: FPC Meeting this week

On 03/12/2013 01:05 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
Well then, the next time I get some free time I'll go ahead and look at the
issue and write up a draft.  Seeing as how I just got enough free time to
write up a filtering draft which was first requested in April 2011, you may
have a multi-year wait.  At the very least, it'll have to wait until after
PyCon, (~2 weeks) and after the .desktop file cleanup (Still ~200 packages)
and after the fedora infra discussion on oauth and I'll probably need to
help with a new FAS, a new python-fedora, and a new pkgdb release by then.

You can start by voting on the issue as you could have done at the meeting like the rest of them, then atleast I dont have to wait multi-year so I can start scratching my itch and start fixing one of many components that seem to somehow *expect* things to be there in the BaseOS in foreseeable future and the draft can be written anytime when someone has the free time to do it as I had mentioned.

Atleast then the broken implementation of package containing cron jobs in the distribution can be fixed by a person willing to go through all that and fix it.

For the most part, the other FPC members do want to receive drafts.  Many
years ago we realized that the FPC members' time did not scale well.  So we
started encouraging people to submit drafts so that we could spend our time
examining and editing those drafts that are submitted rather than having to
start from scratch learning the ins and outs of a problem, determining where
in the guidelines a change would need to be made and which of the ins and
outs of the problem would need to be mentioned in that change.

Ah I see what the problem is here and I suggest FPC should be change from a "committee" to a "community" you could learn a thing or two from us in QA in that regard.

Some of us still write drafts when there's a particular problem that we feel
affects more people or is more important to the distribution or simply
scratches an itch that we have.  But doing so does take time that we maybe
should have been spending on something else.

I honestly dont care in what you want to spend your time it's yours to spend but when I work on things I want to do them properly even if that means that I have to spend extra time fixing things that are not directly related to the work I'm doing but indirectly are affected or it simply makes sense to do that work/cleanup at the same time.

We have too many poorly and half implemented things in the distribution and for no logical reason continue to ship obsoleted stuff like the legacy sysv initscript after they have been migrated and I simply choose not to be one of those guys or girls that is the cause of that, essentially an distribution litterer...

So as with everything in Fedora, if you have an itch, doing the work will
get it done faster than relying on someone else who is at least as busy as
you.  If you're lucky, other people will have the same itch and will help
you do it.

I probably know that fact far more then many here in the distribution.

JBG