Re: Packaging guidelines for packaging Cron Jobs in the distribution

Le Lun 25 février 2013 18:21, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" a écrit :
> On 02/25/2013 12:51 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
>>
>>> Should the requirement on Cronie be added to the spec file?
>>> or
>>> Should those cron-jobs be package in a separate sub package which would
>>> depend on Cronie?
>> Is the running of cron jobs essential to the proper function of any
>> current
>> package?  If not, personally, I'd rather not worry too much about adding
>> dependencies and consider it optional.
>
> There are few affected components that have a hard dependency on cron
> binary being in place and in general from my pov no package should ever
> *expect* anything to be available since I personally think doing so is a
> bad workflow but other might disagree in that regard.

And I'd be very careful before qualifying any cron job as 'non essential".
A lot of them are maintenance jobs you can get by without *some* time, but
that will cause behaviour degradation or even failures in the long run if
not run at all.

--
Nicolas Mailhot