Re: Packaging Gnac (An audio converter for GNOME)

Taylon Silmer wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I'm packaging Gnac, it's my first package and I have the following
> doubt:
>
> Gnac is an audio converter, it can convert a lot of audio files and some
> of these types aren't directly supported by Fedora. On the .desktop
> file, it register some of these non supported types.
>
> Michael Schwendt (he did the package review), find better if an
> application didn't register for MIME types it doesn't support, but some
> other applications like audio players does that.
>
> What I should to do in this case?

I'd be quite upset if I would have a file of an unsupported type and
when double clicking I would see an application which instead of playing
the file would cry "unsupported file" (or any similar message)
So I would say that Michael is right, unsupported types should not be
registered.
And after all, what would be the usefulness of lying to the users ?

    Manuel