Re: LSB initscript ordering issues

On 12/03/2009 10:39 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
John Dennis (jdennis@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
In the past we used hardcoded chkconfig start/stop numbers to
control the order in which services were started and stopped. My
understanding is that is deprecated (although still supported) but
the preferred method is the LSB boot facility declarations
(Required-Start, Should-Start, Required-Stop, Should-Stop). Correct?

I wouldn't say it's *preferred*. It's an alternate method.

The section describing facility names seems a bit vague to me:

Shouldn't the guidelines *require* that the LSB block have a
Provides: declaration which at a minimum includes a name matching
the initscript?

That's implicitly provided no matter what.

It might be nice to update the wiki to make this clear.

In addition to the explicit eponymous Provides: what about virtual
provides? Do we have a set of virtual provide names? (e.g.
mailserver, webserver, or ldapserver)

No. Those aren't defined in the spec.

Right, it's not an LSB issue but a Fedora packaging issue. Do we intend to define such a set of virtual provides for Fedora?

The guidelines also state that an initiscript should never be marked
as %config and instead import configuration settings from
/etc/sysconfig/$name. But what about the case where a service may
have a variety of boot dependencies depending on how it's
configured? For example a service might be configured to optionally
use mysql vs. postgres, or to use LDAP vs. SQL so it will have boot
dependencies on particular services which cannot be hardwired ahead
of time.

The LSB spec won't help you here, alas.

Right, this isn't an LSB spec issue but a Fedora packaging guideline issue. If a sysadmin configures the service to depend on a specific set of dependency services then he/she will have to edit the initscript, thus it should be marked %config so that this customization is not lost.

I doubt the LSB block parsing logic handles "includes" from
/etc/sysconfig, or does it?

It does not.

Bill

--