Re: Draft for the use of environment-modules

On 24.7.2009 14:46, Doug Ledford wrote:

This is probably good, and would need to be under $MPI_INCLUDE maybe? It
might be worth while to consider simply making it a rule that the
following directories always exist:

$MPI_HOME/bin
$MPI_HOME/lib
$MPI_HOME/include
$MPI_HOME/man

and that they are the standard destination for MPI built programs. The
man directory is somewhat optional as man pages should be able to go in
/usr/share/man and simply be reused from the base package, they don't
normally vary from a non-MPI build to an MPI build. However, the man dir
is needed for the MPI packages themselves as they all have rather
extensive, competing man pages.

Well, I think the same applies also for the include dir. Headers can be simply split into a separate -headers subpackage and required by every -devel subpackage -- or can you think of a case with different headers for different MPI implementations?

- the main package should be always built without MPI support, if that
is possible (i.e. a MUST would be: build at least without MPI (if
possible) and with OpenMPI)

You can't do a must as there are some MPI only apps out there (mpitests
is an easy example). But a strong should would work.

Yes yes, that's what I meant by "must (if possible)" :)

Regards,
Milos