Re: Problem with tags for a package that does not use the %dist tag

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your comments, ...

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
"s" == steve  <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

s> I decided to not use the %{dist} tag in the release number
s> versioning based on the reasoning in the ticket. This package was
s> approved and I check the package into cvs.

And in the review for one of the other packages you submitted
(javanotes) I told you that you'd have tagging problems if you did
this.  You seem to have ignored that advice.

I did not intend to deliberately ignore your advice, I just wanted to incorporate all the the comments received on my first accepted package (of this nature) into all of my other submissions.

Since the ldd-pdf package was already 'approved' by the time you made the comment, I assumed that it would be ok. It's my mistake for not reading your comments on javanotes more closely. I was too hasty and over eager to get this done.

<...snip...>
You seem to think that not using the dist tag saves something
somewhere; in reality, it just causes you exactly the trouble that
you're having and doesn't really buy anything since each release is
signed with a different key and so the packages have to be different
anyway.

Well, now I do see the problems and also the mistake of assuming that there'd be something to gain.

So, considering this wouldn't it be a good idea to document this reasoning and actively discourage the exclusion of the dist tag on this wiki page --

 https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:DistTag

It states "Using the %{dist} tag is not mandatory,..." at the beginning and then leaves the decision up to the maintainer ...

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:DistTag#Do_I_Have_To_Use_the_Dist_Tag.3F

IMHO, the problems with building and tagging should be mentioned in the page to avoid further issues like this.

Thanks everyone for your comments here and on the bz.

cheers,
- stev