Re: removal of pre-built files

Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
Hi,

Toshio asked me to write up a proposal for clarification of the
removal of pre-built binaries. I came up with two proposals. I'd like
to have them considered and voted separately.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Removal_of_pre-built_binaries

Any comments, suggestions welcome.

Hmm, both proposals are causing me head-aches, because they are trying to extend the FPG to cover topics this FPG was trying to _intentionally_ leave open.

Let me try to elaborate: This section is aiming at prohibiting shipping prebuilt _Linux_ binaries (applications and libraries). It doesn't aim at prohibiting shipping prebuild "other binaries", such as package documentation, images or movies or sound files.

A requirement to rebuild the later has never existed in Fedora.
They should be "rebuildable", if appropriate/feasible/neccessary for proper operation, but this was essentially left to the discretion of individual packagers and individual packages' demands

That said, if there is something which I consider to be in need of further refinement, then its the definition of "binary" as being used in this section of the FPG.

Ralf