Re: Phase out buildroot?

On 05/20/2009 11:39 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:05:57PM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
On 05/20/2009 08:47 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 05:46:18PM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
Since the rpm version shipped in Fedora 10 and beyond defines a default
buildroot, I think we can start phasing out the current buildroot
Guideline.  How about adding this to the start of the buildroot tag
section?
I'd be concerned about accidentally blowing away people's systems if
they take a src.rpm from Fedora and try to build it on an older Fedora
or non-Fedora system.

%install
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

%clean
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

What will this evaluate to on older systems?  Won't it be "rm -rf\n"?
Which actually won't remove anything?

Last I knew, it will evaluate to / and all hilarity will ensue.  Once
upon a time, the recommendation was to use something like this to
prevent such disasters:

[ "$RPM_BUILD_ROOT" != "/" ]&&  rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

That fell out of favor when the BuildRoot: tag was mandated in Fedora
packages.  If we remove the BuildRoot: requirement and instead rely
upon the new rpmbuild default, we risk obliterating unsuspecting
users' systems.

I have a better idea.  How about we get rpmbuild to automatically do
the moral equivalent of "[ "$RPM_BUILD_ROOT" != "/" ]&&  rm -rf
$RPM_BUILD_ROOT" internally before starting %install and %clean, and
remove all such boilerplate from all Fedora specs.  Then we can remove
the BuildRoot: requirement as well, and older/non-Fedora systems will
just break/pollute/fail to cleanup the build instead of blowing away
the users system, a much lesser evil IMO.

I thought that Panu posted something about this actually being the case but I can't find it in a quick look at the code in git. Perhaps that was an idea rather than actually coded or perhaps my memory is wrong.

Panu care to weigh in on this ?

-Toshio