Re: Stupid question

Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 12:11 AM, Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've taken over the ruby package, which basically is the first
core-component piece of software on my relatively small list of packages.

Attached is a patch that was in ruby-1.8.6, and that I rebased to
ruby-1.8.7. Since it's a really simple patch, I wonder why it's not
upstream.

I'm not sure what this fixes, in that ruby will build without the patch as
well. I've searched through the logs to see if there's some kind of warning
related to socket.c, but there is none from what I can tell.

I'd love to learn what this patch does and then try and get upstream to
accept it (so that I have less work to do). Can someone on this list help me
with this?

For a while back in February of '08 was some breakage in glibc where
NI_MAXHOST wasn't defined anymore (at least not under the usual
circumstances that Fedora programs are/were compiled), thus breaking
the build of many different packages, Ruby included.  From the looks
of that patch the Ruby developers anticipated NI_MAXHOST being
undefined, but flubbed the fixup.  Certainly seems like the patch
should be upstream to me...

Thanks!

It turns out it is upstream already, just not in 1.8.7-p72. I feel confident to ship the patch now ;-)

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip