Packaging rubygem-passenger and "mod_rails"

Hi all,

I'm interested in some feedback and hints as to how to tackle this problem I'm seeing:

rubygem-passenger upstream is a Ruby on Rails deployment utility that practically makes installing a new version of a Ruby on Rails web application a drag-and-drop action. Anyway;

One part of the upstream release is the Ruby Gem - which, when installed, offers a command that says;

passenger-install-apache2-module

which is mod_rails/mod_rack, and can be loaded in httpd so that it's all nice and integrated and nifty.

Problem is, "passenger-install-apache2-module" is building the .so and now I'm seeing a chicken-or-egg problem;

I need the gem to be installed to be able to build the httpd module, and the httpd module is built from the same source(s).

I would appreciate some advice as to if splitting the packages and build-requiring the rubygem-passenger package for the mod_rails package is the way to go, or whether there's another route.

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip