Re: Calling graphical tools generically e.g. text editor

Patrice Dumas wrote:
On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 09:32:16AM -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
Tim Jackson wrote:
I package RapidSVN, a GUI application which acts as an interface to a Subversion repository. Although it has quite a lot of functionality built-in, it relies on external software to perform some functions, in particular:

- a text editor e.g. gedit
- a diff viewer of some sort (ideally graphical e.g. meld)
- a graphical directory browser (e.g. nautilus)

You could consider using xdg-open (from xdg-utils), which is a command-line utility for this kind of thing. It's purpose is to open files/urls using the default app of the current desktop environment (kde, gnome, whatever).

I am not sure that it covers what is wanted here. With xdg-open, it is
likely that on text an editor is opened, but it could also be a viewer.
For the diff I don't know. But for directory browsing, I am not sure
that it will work, on my system, it uses kdesvn because it registered
MimeType=inode/directory;

Maybe it is just that inode/directory should be reserved for directory browsers, and text for editors and not viewers.

Correct, use of any sort of "default" app, assumes that mimetypes for the opened targets are configured properly.

-- Rex