Calling graphical tools generically e.g. text editor

I package RapidSVN, a GUI application which acts as an interface to a Subversion repository. Although it has quite a lot of functionality built-in, it relies on external software to perform some functions, in particular:

- a text editor e.g. gedit
- a diff viewer of some sort (ideally graphical e.g. meld)
- a graphical directory browser (e.g. nautilus)

Currently, these require manual configuration by the user. It would be nice if they worked "out of the box" and respected the user's normal desktop preferences (including respecting different desktop environments - GNOME/KDE/other etc.). I'm not aware of a "clean" way of doing this. Is there any generic command which means "run the user's preferred text editor for the current environment"? Any other bright ideas about how this might be achieved or partially achieved?

Bug #459909 refers to this problem.

Thanks for any input,

Tim