Re: Java packaging guidelines draft

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
Le Mer 26 mars 2008 14:28, Andrew Overholt a écrit :
On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 23:03 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
Le mardi 25 mars 2008 à 17:06 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway a écrit :

8. "%{_jnidir} usually expands into /usr/lib/java." This should
probably
be %{_libdir}/java.
The original jpp tools scripts are not multilib-safe (I didn't have
x86_64 system available when I wrote them). When the problem was
identified by people with the right hardware, a quickfix (proposed
by RH
IIRC) consisted in changing all the %{_libdir}s in the original
guidelines with /usr/lib.

Since then no one took the time to make the scripts multilib-safe.
Tom Fitzsimmons has said more than once this is on his list of things
to do but he has yet to have time to accomplish it.

BTW this was by no means an indictment, Tom Fitzsimmon is not the only
one who could fix the scripts, it was just an explanation why putting
%{_libdir} in guidelines now would explode horribly.

The blocker currently is the rpm $1 bug which breaks alternatives when both 32- and 64-bit JDK packages are installed in parallel. I'm working on a fix for rpm, but it's not easy. Once that's fixed we can fix everything else properly. I already have jpackage-utils/JDK package patches for this that we've tested lightly internally. But they won't work properly until the the rpm bug is fixed.

Tom