Re: Octave package standard

Orion Poplawski wrote:
Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

Orion Poplawski wrote:

- Currently octave uses the /usr/libexec tree to install the .oct files.
 These are really shared libraries.  It does use an arch/api versioned
directory, e.g.:

/usr/libexec/octave/packages/java-1.2.1/i386-redhat-linux-gnu-api-v26/

Some other package files (PKG_ADD/PKG_DEL) get added there too.

This is the only part that needs more clarification to me.  If the .oct
files are really shared libraries it seems that they belong in
%{_libdir}.  libexec is more useful for binaries that shouldn't be
multilib like helper programs that are invoked by other programs on the
system and need to match arch with the invoking program for them to work
correctly.

Well, it would be trivial to change /usr/libexec to /usr/lib. Multi-lib is then handled by the arch string farther down. Similar to java in /usr/lib/jvm/java/jre/lib/amd64/.

I'm ok with it either way.

Using %{_libdir} would be harder and I'm not sure for what gain.

*nod*, changing your proposal to try to use %{_libdir} may well be much pain for little payoff, so I personally wouldn't consider it a blocker.

-- Rex