Re: paragraph on shipping static numerical libs

On Sat, 2007-05-26 at 12:41 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here is a paragraph explaining why some libs may be usefull in their
> static version:
>
> * in the case of user compiled programs doing numerical computations or
>   data analysis, using static libraries may be useful. Indeed it allows
>   to build static executables that have more chance to be run on other
>   platforms than the box they were compiled in, that have different
>   dynamic library versions or even that don't have the library installed
>   at all. At the same time those applications, in general, don't need
>   the features brought in by shared libraries (no need for nss, no
>   security issue, no need for iconv...). Therefore it may be acceptable
>   or even desirable to ship static libraries for numerical and data
>   processing libraries to help users needing to link statically their
>   locally compiled executables. The static libraries still need to be
>   in separate sub-packages.
This all can be summarized into:

Some people try to achieve cross-distro packaging by linking their
applications statically. In cases, the target distros are similar
enough, there are chances this will work in trivial cases (such as some
subclass of numerical applications).

IMO,
a) technically:
* static linkage between Fedora packages are a maintenance nightmare
(version tracking etc.) and a security risk to fedora. As such static
linkage in Fedora shall be avoided whenever possible.
* packaging static libs bloats the distro.
* if distros are similar enough, similar portability between distros can
be achieved by dynamical linkage.
* static linkage does not achieve portability, except in very trivial
cases.

b) politically:
* cross-distro packaging is not an objective of the Fedora project.

I don't know what you try to achieve with this posting, whether this was
meant to be a proposal for an addition to the FPG or if you were just
agitating your position for the n-th time.

Ralf