Re: Upgrading databases as part of the RPM postinst script?

On 08 May 2007 15:30:09 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

MV> As part of the software (binaries) upgrade process my rpm will
MV> need to update database scheme (and possibly some configurations
MV> data) inside a mysql database.

I would recommend not even attempting to do that kind of thing.  How
do you know the database is running at the time, or even that it's on
the same machine?

That is quite the same situation I am facing right now with mantis: in
older releases, users was forced to browse a specific page to update
the schema.
Now I proposed upstream the addition of a script for performing the
same updates from the command line, so I could add it in a scriptlet:
of course it could fail for many reasons, but if you have a working
installation then the configuration files has all the information
required to connect to the database.

I don't know if a similar solution is applicable at all in your
situation, because it mostly depends on how the schema update is
implemented upstream