Re: some comments on the desktop files section and proposed amendmends

Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
Take a deep breath. Use your brain. Use your best judgement. :)

Sure, I do that. And _I_ understand that the packaging guidelines are just guidelines. But a considerable number of reviewers will take a sentence that says "any package that installs a GUI application needs to install a desktop file" literally and block the review on the "violation". I wished the guidelines were less apodictic when there is
real room for judgement.

IMO this whole sentence should be nuked and replaced by something like:

If a package contains an application that users would expect to find in the panel menus, it needs to include a properly
installed .desktop file.

Ah yes. The psychic ability to read the user's mind. IMHO, it is far
simpler, and more broadly correct as we have it. It also involves less
assumptions on the part of the packager as to what the user
wants/needs/expects.
This is not about reading the users mind, this is about clarifying the purpose of the
desktop file (making the application appear in the menu).
2) While I can see where this is coming from, and may even sympathize with a "correct usage" of Name and GenericName,
simply decreeing that it has to be so is not going to make it happen.
Packagers really cannot do anything to enforce
"correct usage", because doing so would require them to speak all the 40+ languages in which these locale strings are
typically translated.

Hmm. While translations are certainly a concern, are the desktop files
really static and eternally unchanging documents?
Desktop files can be changed, but since this involves translations, these changes need to happen upstream. There is not much point in adding further frustration to reviews by adding "must " items to the checklist over which the packager doesn't have any control.

Also, the approach of --copy-generic-name-to-name was not just picked to annoy you, but to implement a certain user experience. If we just declare copying generic names illegal without implementing an alternative way to get the desired user experience, we will be thrown back to the days of menus full of undecipherable
program names.
Finally, I think it would be beneficial to mention nimetypes and update-desktop-database in this section.

Seems reasonable, do you have a draft for specific changes?

"If a desktop file contains a Mimetype field, you must call update-desktop-database
in %post and %postun. See [...] for details."